The past couple of years have taken a toll on all of us, in both body and mind. The world has seen a vast uptick in remote working, whether that’s from a new shared office space, your garage-turned-office, your sofa, or anything in between.
Poorly set up workstations can add a lot of challenges to your routine because of the adverse effects it has on your soft tissues and spine. The physical discomfort that arises can also cause mental and emotional imbalance, making work difficult and lowering your productivity.
Chiropractic methods are designed to help your body find the correct balance and function so it can support you, energize you, and give you the confidence and comfort you need to focus.
In this post, we’re discussing:
- The effects of a poorly setup workstation
- Symptoms you may endure from poor ergonomics and posture, and badly created workspace
- Chiropractic solutions that will help with conditions due to improper workstation setup
- How to properly create a workspace, no matter where it is
- And more
No matter where your current “office” is, even if it’s in an actual office building (yes, people still do that), this article will help you find comfort while there.
How Your Badly Designed Workstation is Affecting You
For those who work on computers or need to sit for the majority of the day while working, you may find yourself feeling lethargic, unable to concentrate, fidgety, or even in pain. All of these may be due to your inaccurately created workspace.
Even if you’re back in your usual office and in your usual workstation, the setup may be causing you discomfort. At iCare Chiropractic, we’ve worked with numerous patients regarding the way they’re working and have been successful in managing their symptoms.
Common symptoms of a poorly setup workspace include:
- Sore or aching muscles in the lower back
- Back pain
- Neck pain or loss of motion
- Hip discomfort
- Radiating pain from the neck into the shoulders
- Lack of focus
- Loss of productivity
- Mental and emotional stress
The common reason you have these discomforts are generally because of the following:
- Soft tissue or joint overuse
- Poor ergonomics
- Poor posture
- Repetitive soft tissue or joint use
- Consistent staring at a screen
- Mousing and typing
The conditions that may be created due to your workstation setup can include:
- Carpal tunnel syndrome
- Soft tissue strains or sprains
- Disc injury
- Soft tissue imbalance
- Joint dysfunction
- Pinched nerve
These impairments come in every severity, depending on the person; however, safe chiropractic solutions can significantly benefit the body and give you the comfort you need to contribute and perform while working.
Chiropractic Services to Help You Find Comfort
When we’re in pain, the body is letting us know it needs attention. No matter how slight your discomfort is, it’s important to seek care as soon as you can; doing so allows you to get the support you need before your pain is heightened or you surrender to further injury.
Sitting at your workstation is likely something you do for hours a week, and nothing can distract you from completing your tasks like pain can. Your symptoms may seem only physical, but many areas of life can be affected when we’re injured.
An experienced chiropractor will find the cause of your symptoms, not just deliver pain-masking solutions that don’t heal the source of the problem. This is a key element in chiropractic because pain masking is superficial and doesn’t contribute to long-lasting effects.
Some common chiropractic services to help restore the body’s function include:
- Adjustments and manipulations– a controlled thrust that relieves pressure put on joints or soft tissues, usually done to the spine but can be delivered to other affected areas to restore balance and alignment
- Therapeutic exercise– uniquely designed exercise programs that work to strengthen the muscles and other soft tissues so they can fully support you
- Electrical stimulation therapies– various therapies that utilize penetrating electrical currents to restore function and mobility
- Manual therapies– manipulating the soft tissues through therapy and massage will increase circulation, decrease scar tissue and inflammation, and provide stress-relieving properties to the patient
- And more
Your treatment plan will often consist of various solutions to encourage a safer, faster recovery process.
Our chiropractic team will also discuss preventative techniques to help you keep your body safe while working, inclusive of exercises, stretches, and proper movement patterns and posture.
How to Set Up Your Ergonomic Workstation
Step 1: Ensure your monitor is at eye level, so you don’t need to keep your neck muscles overly active looking up or down for extended periods.
Step 2: Keep your mouse and keyboard close, so you’re not having to exert yourself to get to them.
Step 3: Support your back with an ergonomic chair if possible; however, if that’s not available to you, you can use a pillow or rolled blanket or towel against your low back.
Step 4: Sit at a level that allows your elbows to be at a 90-degree angle while working, typing, writing, etc.
Step 5: Make sure your feet reach the floor, and your knees are also at a 90-degree angle while sitting.
Pro tip: Incorporate movement every half hour, even if it’s just to stand and stretch to the ceiling, then reach the floor. You can always give your neck a break with some head rolls at any time, too.
Visit our Miami Chiropractic Clinic for Workstation Guidance
We know you want to get as much done as possible, and to be productive, you need to be comfortable. We want to help you get there and give you the tools to stay that way.
Contact our Miami chiropractic clinic, and let’s get your body pain-free so you can focus on your work and other important matters.